News and Events
The weather was perfect. The kids were pumped and ran so many laps! Every kinder ran at least 8 laps (that's a mile, so impressive!). Thank you to all our volunteers, you made the event run so smoothly.
OUR TOP MOVERS BY CLASS:
- Kindergarten – Rm 1: Ainsley K and Jacob A - 16 laps. Rm 2: Chase S. – 22 laps, Rm 3: Casey L, Emma R and Wes S – 16 laps. Rm 4: Parker H – 18 laps
- 1st Grade – P1: Devin S – 22 laps. P3 Jakson F – 21 laps. Rm 11: Rosa T – 19 laps. Rm 13: Owen M – 22 laps. Rm 14: Brayden F and Harris G – 20 laps.
- 2nd Grade – P5: Kate F – 23 laps. Rm 8: Mason S – 25 laps. Rm 9: Elle P – 20 laps. Rm 10: Nate C – 24 laps. Rm12: Joesph S and Samantha S – 26 laps.
- 3rd Grade – P4: Andrew M – 28 laps. P6: Brock M – 31 laps. P7: Hayden R – 27 laps. P8: Max W – 28 laps.
- 4th Grade – P14: Ben G – 31 laps. P15: Kate C – 25 laps. P16 Logan B and Peter F – 27 laps. P17: Matthew R – 30 laps.
- 5th Grade – P10: Brady F – 31 laps. P11: Jaxton H – 29 laps. P13: Ben W – 31 laps.
Top movers get to teach PE for their class. Amazing job kiddos!!
**Pledge packets due Monday, November 3rd to your kiddos classroom. And hold onto your feet and necklaces. We want to continue to add feet to the necklaces every year.
On the 31st we will have our annual Schmitz Park Costume Parade. The parade will start at 1:30PM. Watch for more information from your child’s teacher or classroom parent about parties and other activities.
Please keep the following in mind when planning for the day:
- Children should not wear their costumes to school. Teachers will give time for changing before the parade.
- No costume should emulate or mock another ethnicity or culture.
- No toy guns or realistic knives. Other simulated weapons must be kept with the teacher and carried only during the parade.
Please minimize gore such as fake blood and such - keep in mind that we have young students at school who find gory images frightening. We may ask students with too much gore to remove a part of a costume during the parade.
Several cases of head lice have been found in the school recently. Please take the time to review the information provided in link below, and check your child/children for live lice or nits on a regular basis. If you find lice or nits, please let us know, and treat your family as suggested in the pamphlet. We are attempting to be a “LICE FREE” school, so your child must be checked by our staff before they return. Thank you for your important part in keeping our students lice free. http://www.srhd.org/documents/Health_Topics/Lice-Guidelines.pdf
***The Southwest meeting will be held at Alki Elementary, November 3, 6:30-7:30 p.m.****
Boundary changes are part of the Growth Boundaries approved by the Seattle School Board in November 2013. Those approved changes are being implemented over time. The changes do not have any effect on the current school year.
Families in the areas that are changing from one school attendance area will receive letters informing them of the change. A copy of that letter is attached. The attached letter invites those families to attend community meetings in the Southwest.
Maps will be available for download on the Growth Boundaries website, http://bit.ly/GrowthBoundaries, which will be updated by the end of this week. Questions to email@example.com.
November 3rd – 7th all classrooms will be collecting candy. Our goal this year is to collect over 1000 lbs to donate to local food banks!
Book fairs are a great way to build an incredible home library and support your school library! All proceeds are used to buy new books for our library. Click here for the flyer.
- Thursday, November 20 from 3:00-5:00PM
- Friday, November 21 from 3:00-5:00PM
- Monday, November 24 from 8:00AM-7:30PM
- Tuesday, November 25 from 8:00AM-4:00PM
Teachers have sent out emails with information to sign up for conferences, please contact your child's teacher if you haven't received an email. If your family will be traveling that week, we ask that families wait and schedule a make-up conference in December with your child’s teacher, but please be considerate of the additional time that this requires of teachers. There will be no school for children these three days.
The Seattle Children’s Kids Marathon is a great way to get kids excited about physical education and reward them for their accomplishments. The Seattle Children’s Kids Marathon is structured to allow children—kindergarten through eighth grade—to complete a full 26.2 mile marathon at a rate that is fun and safe for their growing bodies “one mile at a time.” It also encourages them to read 13 books and perform 13 do rights (good deeds).
Schmitz Park Elementary (under the guidance of Mrs. Sealey) has a team. Families can go online to sign their student(s) up. The school is registered under: SCHMITZ PARK FOXES! Password: FOXES Once a child is signed up, Mrs. Sealey receives an e-alert and adds their name to her tracking sheet in the gym. Go Foxes! Remember…miles earned in the October 24th Move-a-Thon and the October 25th Monster Dash (benefitting West Seattle Cooperative Pre-schools) count!! http://www.seattlemarathon.org/kids/parent.php
The PTA hopes to raise 50% of our $240,000 goal through our direct give program. Donating $1 a day will enable us to achieve our fundraising goals. Donations are 100% tax deductible. Visit Schmitzparkpta.org to donate and learn more.
Please put your boxtops in a baggie or envelope labeled with your child's name and room number. Give them to your child's teacher or deposit them in the bin outside of the office. The room with the highest number of boxtops wins a class party! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Seattle Public Schools requirements for volunteering at school have changed slightly for the 2014/2015 school year. Please make sure that you . . .
- Complete a Washington State Patrol background check (this must be conducted every year);
- Provide a copy of your drivers license to the front office ;
- Complete an online sexual harassment training and print out the certificate and provide a copy to the front office.
Click here for the link to the training.
Please note that all volunteers must sign in at the front desk using Help Counter and print a badge. Those parents who have not completed all three steps in the volunteer process, will not show up as volunteers in this system and will be asked to register as a visitor until they can complete the process. Please let us know if you need access to a computer at school in order to complete the training. We appreciate your help and cooperation with these new requirements.